The Community Church of Wilmette was first established in
1913 as the Wilmette Baptist Church. As the national Baptist
organization split and changed over the years, the Wilmette
Baptist Church remained true to the more individualistic and
nondogmatic Baptist tradition, and stayed aligned with the
loosely affiliated and diverse American Baptist Churches,
USA, where it is still a strong force for retaining the old
Baptist principles of congregational independence and individual
conscience. In 1970, the name of the church was changed to
the Community Church of Wilmette.
During the depression the church acquired the affectionate
nickname “The Church That Cares” for its service to the community.
Although the church savings were wiped out in a bank failure
and the budget was cut in half, the church increased its mission
budget and offered emergency relief to many local families.
We continue to see ourselves as a church that cares, with
both financal giving and hands-on volunteering considered
crucial parts of congregational life.